Are you taking, or considering taking, Alprazolam for anxiety, panic disorder, agoraphobia, or another mental health reason? This page provides information on the medication’s benefits, side effects, and other properties.
Type of Medication: Benzodiazepine
Variants include Xanax, Xanax XR.
Benefits of Alprazolam (Xanax) for Anxiety
Alprazolam is a ‘calmer’ and is often prescribed to treat (but not to cure) general symptoms of anxiety as well as panic disorder, with or without agoraphobia. Drugs in this group also act as muscle relaxants and are sometimes used in the treatment of epilepsy.
Side Effects of Alprazolam (Xanax)
Please note that the following side effects include only some of the most common and somewhat less common but do not include rarer side effects; the list is not exhaustive. Many people taking Alprazolam (Xanax) experience none of these side effects. Please consult a physician about any unusual symptoms.
Some of the more common side effects of Alprazolam (Xanax) include:
Some of the less common side effects of Alprazolam (Xanax) include:
- ataxia (impaired balance)
Alprazolam (Xanax) and Alcohol
Alcohol should be avoided: Alprazolam (Xanax) may cause drowsiness, and drinking alcohol in conjunction with the medication may exacerbate this effect.
Stopping Alprazolam (Xanax): Discontinuation Effects or Withdrawal Symptoms
It is best to consult a physician before discontinuing benzodiazepines. Unusually for medications used in the area of mental health, these medications can cause physical as well as psychological dependence, and suddenly stopping taking them can cause withdrawal symptoms including:
- symptom rebound (the reappearance of symptoms in a form worse than they were before taking the medication) — especially for symptoms associated with panic disorder
Should You Buy Alprazolam (Xanax) Online?
Particularly in the United States, many individuals choose to purchase medications online, either for reasons of cost savings, privacy, or both. Both brand-name Xanax and so-called ‘generic Xanax’ (i.e., Alprazolam without the Xanax brand name) can sometimes be purchased at deep discounts (and sometimes without a prescription) in this way. Before undertaking any purchase of medications online, however — and certainly if you are contemplating doing so without a prior prescription — please consider the integrity of the supplier and the national and/or local laws which may apply where you live.
For more on the political and safety controversies about buying drugs online (including VIPPS, price-gouging, and more) see our separate site MedsDebate.com.
Information Sources and Disclaimer
The information provided here has been summarized in good faith purely for educational purposes. It is not intended in any way to replace the advice of a qualified medical professional. Please do not take any action on the basis of information contained here without consulting a physician. Unless otherwise specified, information is intended to apply only to adult use of the medication. Drug interaction precautions have not been included; please consult another source for this information.
All registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
- United States FDA-approved Product Insert for Xanax XR (PDF)
- Your Medicines — Any Questions?
- British National Formulary
- Medication Reference Materials
- Drug Information by Generic Name
- Alprazolam (Xanax) for Anxiety, Panic Disorder or Agoraphobia
- Atomoxetine (Strattera) for ADHD
- Bupropion, or Amfebutamone (Wellbutrin, Zyban) for Depression, Bipolar, and Smoking Cessation
- Citalopram (Celexa, Cipramil, Seropram) for Depression
- Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril) for Anxiety
- Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex) for Depression or Anxiety
- Fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem) for Depression, Anxiety, Bulimia
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox, Faverin) for OCD
- Gabapentin (Neurontin) for Mood and Anxiety Disorders and Neuropathic Pain
- Guanfacine (Tenex, Estulic, Dipresan) for ADHD and Social Anxiety
- Medication List With Brand Names
- Nefazodone (Serzone, Dutonin) for Depression
- Olanzapine (Zyprexa) for Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia
- Olanzapine + Fluoxetine (Symbyax) for Bipolar Disorder
- Paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat, Deroxat) for Depression, PTSD and More
- Quetiapine (Seroquel) for Schizophrenia and Bipolar
- Risperidone (Risperdal) for Schizophrenia and Hypomania
- Sertraline (Zoloft, Lustral) for Depression, OCD and More
- Venlafaxine (Effexor or Efexor): Benefits and Side Effects
- Zolpidem Tartrate (Ambien, Stilnoct): Benefits and Side Effects
- Medication Action Mechanisms and Warnings
- NIMH Medications Booklet
- Research Literature and Clinical Trials of Mental Health Drugs
- Resources on Psychotropic Medications
- Drug Information by Generic Name
All clinical material on this site is peer reviewed by one or more clinical psychologists or other qualified mental health professionals. This specific article was originally published by Dr Greg Mulhauser, Managing Editor on .on and was last reviewed or updated by